Visa on Arrival (VOA)
If you are an EU citizen, you can obtain an Iranian Visa on arrival at most major Iran airports. This visa is valid for 30 days (it is possible to extend it for another 14 days once in Iran).
British Citizens are exempt from this and must apply for a visa before arriving. This can take up to 2 months and we recommend you apply as soon as you can.
To apply for a VOA in Iran, please make you have:
- Confirmed return ticket with you (with a printed copy) when you land in Iran
- Valid travel insurance for the duration of your stay in Iran (Please make sure the insurance provider covers Iran as a travel destination)
Who is exempt from VOA?
- Travellers who have been rejected for Iran visa previously will not receive Iran VOA
- Journalists and reporters on mission cannot get Iran VOA
- Iranian nationals holding other nationalities passport are not allowed to get Iran VOA
- Iran VOA is issued for tourist purposes only (ordinary passport). Diplomatic passport, official passports, etc. cannot apply for this type of Iran visa.
- VOA is not issued for USA, UK, Canada – all EU passport holders can get VOA. All other nationalities must apply for an Iranian visa
- Applying through an Iranian Travel Agency and having Iran Visa reference number before the trip still the safer way.
- Have you been to Israel and still have a stamp on your passport? Do not risk rejection with VOA visa and apply for a new passport
American, Canadian and British Travellers
All American, Canadian and British passport holders must apply for a visa in advance.
If you have Iranian citizenship – you MUST travel on your Iranian passport. Please contact me if you are an Iranian citizen.
If you are a dual citizen – please bring both passports. You will need the passport of the country you reside in to potentially return.
Other Important Notes
- Please make sure your passport has at least 6 months of validity from the date of your return from the tour. If it expires earlier – please apply for a new passport. We would recommend your passport is valid for at least 1 year to avoid visa rejections or refusal to enter Iran at the airport.
- No Israeli stamps. If you do – please get a new passport. If you have any evidence of entry to Israel – For example, an Egyptian stamp at the border city of Taba this could result in denied entry.
- While you can enter the US with an Iranian stamp in your passport, you won’t be eligible for the US Visa Waiver Program if you visit Iran. For future travel to the US you will have to apply for a Tourist visa (this usually lasts 10 years).
Who doesn’t need a Visa?
Citizens of the following countries can enter Iran without a visa :
Armenia: for 90 days
Azerbaijan: for 30 days
Bolivia: for 30 days
Georgia: for 45 days
Malaysia: for 15 days
Syria: for 90 days
Turkey: for 3 months
Venezuela: for 15 days
Apply for the Visa